Permanent Makeup (PMU):
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT?
• 24 hours prior to your appointment, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL or CAFFEINE.
• 72 hours prior to your appointment, DO NOT TAKE ADVIL or other blood thinners such as Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Niacin, Fish Oil or Vitamin E (unless medically necessary).
• Botox should be done 2 weeks before or 4 weeks after the procedure.
• Avoid booking during your menstrual cycle as it can increase your pain.
• No waxing, tanning or tinting 3 days before and 4 weeks after.
• Arrive with no makeup for your appointment. A lot of wiping of pigment takes place and makeup can get ruined, so save yourself the hassle!
• Be prepared for your skin to look a little red and your permanent makeup to be REALLY DARK! – Don’t worry, the color will fade 30-50%. Lips tend to be extremely dark after treatment and will heal much lighter. Liner tends to be the truest to healed color immediately after treatment.
You are NOT a suitable candidate for this procedure if you have or are:
• History of Keloids or Hypertrophic scarring
• Diabetic (require doctor’s clearance)
• Chemotherapy (require doctor’s clearance if within 6 months)
• Viral infections and/or diseases
• Pacemaker or major heart problems
• Organ transplant
• Skin irritations or Psoriasis near the treated area (rashes, sunburn, acne, etc.)
• Sick (cold, flu, etc.)
• Accutane in the past year
• Heart conditions, Uncontrolled High Blood Pressure, Poor general health.
• Any treatment, medication, or illness that compromises the immune system / healing. This would compromise your results and you WOULD NOT be a good candidate for PMU.
How long does the treatment take?
Lips: 2.5 hours.
Brows: 2.5 hours.
Liner: 1.5 hours.
How long can I expect it to last?
The pigment can last between 1-3 years. The pigment will begin to fade within 12 months. In order to keep your results looking fresh, a touch up is recommended every 12 months to 24 months (Liner typically isn’t needed as often). After 2 years, full price for all procedures will apply.
For clients that choose a softer look & lighter color shade initially, or those who did not follow the after care instructions properly, will require more frequent touch ups.
Factors that will cause your PMU to fade faster:
• Iron deficiency
• Sun exposure
• Strong/hyperactive immune systems
• Exposure to salt water
Does the application hurt?
We take every precaution necessary to ensure the procedure is as pain free as possible. A strong topical anaesthetic cream is used prior to and during the procedure to keep you as comfortable as possible. Some clients find the procedure a little uncomfortable while others report no discomfort at all and find themselves taking a little PMU snooze!
How long is the recovery or healing time?
Lips 5-10 days.
Brows 7-14 days.
Liner 3-5 days.
What types of pigments do you use?
We use iron oxide pigments that will fade over time and are naturally absorbed by the skin. Iron oxides are innocuous, harmless and perfectly safe for your skin.
Can I get PMU if I’m pregnant?
It is not advised to get any PMU while pregnant.
Does it hurt afterwards?
The area can be a little sore for the first few hours and tender to touch for a couple days.
Can you correct previous PMU?
It is possible to do corrections, but you must come in for a consult prior to your initial procedure to be sure you are a good candidate.
Are there any side effects during or after the procedure?
This depends on the client. If you take blood thinners on a daily basis, then some bleeding
may occur. Bruising is rare but can occur. There is usually some tenderness for a few days. Scabbing, as well as itching while healing, may occur. Again, all of this varies for client to client.
How do I choose a PMU artist?
This is a great question and SO IMPORTANT!!
Some key questions to ask are:
What training do they have?
How long have they been doing PMU?
Do they have before and afters of ALL the PMU treatments they offer?
What do their healed results look like?
Are they permitted through the Health Department?
What is their Blood Borne Pathogens protocol consist of?
Be sure to research ALL of these things! Do not use discount services (Groupon, Living Social, etc.) to find a PMU artist.
Have more questions? Schedule a complimentary consult with Jettie today!